Tomatillo Salsa Verde
15 min., 12 servings vegan, gluten-free
10 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 small bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
sea salt to taste
11 oz. bag Late July organic restaurant style tortilla chips
- Optional: preheat oven to 425° F (220° C) and roast tomatillos for 5 minutes. Raw tomatillos will give the salsa a lighter, fresher taste.
- Place tomatillos in a blender, pulse until finely chopped. Add cilantro and lime juice then pulse again.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and add onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Enjoy with tortilla chips.
One of our most popular creamery products is our Biodynamic® quark, a versatile cheese that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. It can be used in recipes whenever ricotta, sour cream or cream cheese is called for. It is lower in fat and calories than sour cream or cream cheese. No additives or stabilizers are added to our quark. It’s made simply with organic pasteurized milk and microbial enzymes.
Top 10 Things to do with Quark
- Add a dollop on a baked potato or season with fresh herbs, salt and pepper, and serve with potatoes boiled or baked in their skin
- Top off a hearty soup like butternut squash, black bean, or tomato
- Make a dip by adding smoked salmon, bacon, pesto or herbs
- Chips, salsa, and quark
- Top rye bread with quark and sauerkraut
- Mix Quark with Nutella for a sweet treat
- Mix with fruit and sweeten to taste like you would yogurt, and serve as a dessert
- Spread quark on bread with apple butter on top
- Mix quark with fruit, maple syrup, and muesli or granola for a hearty breakfast
- Mix with heavy cream, cocoa powder and sweetener to make a quick mousse
Strawberry Panna Cotta and Balsamic Syrup
Nonstick spray, for greasing ramekins
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
4 strips lemon peel
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 cups quark, room temperature
1 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 carton strawberries, trimmed and quartered
Grease 4 (1-cup size) ramekins with nonstick spray. Add milk, cream and sugar to a pot and set over medium heat. Add vanilla bean and seeds and 4 strips of lemon peel. Bring to a simmer. Once the mixture begins to bubble, turn off the heat.
In another bowl, combine the gelatin and lemon juice, whisking as you go to avoid lumps. Temper the gelatin with about 1/2 cup of the heated milk/cream mixture and whisk back into the remaining mixture. Strain cream mixture into a bowl and discard the vanilla pod and lemon peel. Add the quark and gently whisk to combine the mixture. Pour into ramekins and refrigerate 4 – 6 hours until set.
In a saucepan, reduce balsamic vinegar over low heat until slightly syrupy 5 to 7 minutes. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove the ramekins from the refrigerator and top with quartered strawberries. Drizzle with the balsamic syrup and serve.